Friday 7 March 2008

Is this really the right thing to do

I haven't checked this out yet in any form but on the news this morning an announcement that the Government is to make the new Diploma level 3 quals more acadmeic and worth 4.5 A levels.

Surely this can't be right. I know it was a long time ago but I only did 3 A levels, and I was there full time at school, every day and had masses of extra work to do. Further, we are faliing a significant proportion of youngsetrs already in not having the right studty programme for them. Students who are academically minded already have good routes, those who haven't the ability to get acadmeic quals are again being marginalised.

I also simply don't believe that it is possible to do the equivalent of 4.5 A levels and then have employers beleive it was wotrh 4.5 A levels. Saying it is is just wrong, as no-one will believe it and therefore the qual will be devalued.

More on this when I have investigated.


I'm a big supporter of the new quals (as you'd expect) but this looks like a step too far

No comments: