Monday 4 May 2009

Big News - The School Report Card

This is very big news if you're me and expecting Functional Skills to be the biggest thing since GCSE replaced O levels.

Remember that announcement on April 2nd by Jim Knight that the hurdle of passing functional skills was being removed from GCSE.  Also remember that I said the Government was determined to make this work.

Well, I write to DCFS and I have a response - let me quote

"Therefore schools will have to teach functional skills in order to maintain and improve their results"  OK we knew that but here's the rub for those who were thinking functional skills was being sidelined

"The Government will strongly encourage schools to give young people opportunities to enter and achieve free standing tests in functional skills.....These will be reflected in finalising the Report Card which will replace performance tables and any associated indicators......make sure that there is a strong incentive that reflects our view that it is valuable for young people to do functional skills as well as GCSE.

I'm pretty happy with that, as you can imagine!

No comments: