Friday 2 March 2012

National Numeracy Week

The press is correct. Too many people are proud of the fact "they can't do maths". It is an attitude developed by years of soft reliance on excuses, calling it numeracy instead of maths (or more correctly arithmetic) and allowing people to get away with it.

I stayed at the Easy Hotel in Earls court last month, bought 2 x TV remotes for £7 each and handed over a £20 note. The receptionist had no idea what to give me back.

She tried with a £5 note and when I looked at her gave me another £3 in £1 coins hoping she was getting close. I now wish I had taken all the money - there is no excuse for this whatsoever. How on earth can that person expect to do any job that involves money - who employed her?

Developing Functional Maths is not difficult, it requires practice and some dedication, that's all, it isn't hard, complex or tricky.

I am proud to say that I'm good at maths - does that make me strange?

No comments: