Tuesday 16 October 2007

Is it learning or a qualification that's more important?

It's a bit like another question I posted and it was stimulated by two recent meetings I had.

In one meeting, the question I was asked wasn't whether guroo would help students to learn, it was what they got if they completed it - in other words a qualification or specific measureable outcome. Now I understand this point of view very clearly and indeed in a previous life, I built a very successful company solely on outcomes but it also leads to a degree of frustration when you're dealing with students who struggle to engage in learning in the first place.

In the second meeting, I was asked a similar question and with some trepidation said that guroo was about improving underlying learning and engaging studnets in learning who have a history of dis-engagement. And the person who asked me the questions was very happy with this.

Definetly goes to show that there is room for both approaches - let's just hope that those who want an outcomes based approach also have some room for some straightforward learning as well!

No comments: