Tuesday 25 August 2009

NEET

NEET
Rightly, a lot of attention to the ever increasing and if I may personally add, embarassing problem of NEETs. I've written before about the lost generation, I was a child of the 60's, looking for my first job in the mid 80's when jobs were rarer than soberly dressed young ladies having a glass of Perrier in the Newcastle Bigg Market on a Friday night.

A few of my friends became NEETs, it is very easy to slip over the borderline. All it takes is a lost job, a gap in getting another one and that's it, a young person with no money, no education and no prospects. And I don't think that leaving it a year before action is taken is at all acceptable. The best time to deal with a problem is when the problem occurs, not a year later.

I don't have a solution, but I do know that it is the biggest problem in education at the moment and it would be top of my priority list.

No comments: